Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Prologue

The hallway is long and dark. I can see a small pinpoint of light in the distance, flickering like a firefly. There is only one. Behind me the hard, smooth black marble feels cold and lifeless. I have to remind myself I just walked through it. A few seconds ago.

The pain in my side throbs, its tentacles whiplash down my side. I can’t see the wound but the blood trickles down my leg, sticking to the course fibres of my grey trousers. Gingerly I feel the edges of the hole, I have to grit my teeth and battle the pain as it ebbs through me. It’s not that bad, the strands of flesh are already meshing back together. I should be all right in a while. I just need a few moments rest.

There is a stifled blast that vibrates through my shoulders. They must be trying to blast there way through. That at least gives me chance to think.

I scratch along the wall and find a small, shell like, crevice. Gripping it I lever myself upright and ignore the waves of pain. It is easing. I can at least keep my eyes open, not that there is anything to see.

Another blast wave filters through the wall and into my hand. This is not a good place to be. I stroke the marble as I edge towards the light. I have the strange sensation of flying, soaring high above the planet’s surface. This is what dreaming must be like.

I can go no further. A thin film blocks the way, it gives a little when I press but does not let me through. The light hovers tempting on the other side. I retrace my steps but there is no exit, just three black marble walls and the film. Not a hallway, more of a cell.

I think I know where I am.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice start. I like the flow and feel of the writing style.
Also seem to be able to pick up an improvement in your writing since the last thing I read.

5:05 AM  
Blogger U-B said...

Waiting for the next part...

I'm with "joelB" on this.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home